Monday, July 12, 2010

Definitely Shiok!

When you're eating within the Fort area, the first thing that comes to mind is to go to Serendra or High Street. This time though, we tried to look for an eating place outside the comforts of that familiar lane of restos. Looking around, we stumbled upon a very cute looking resto, situated in between a Shell gas station and a 7-11 store. How weird is that, right? But the food, ambience, and owner (hello, Ms. Christine!) were pleasantly surprising, it makes us want to go back again.

Shiok, which means "Tastes good!', is a Singapore-inspired restaurant, but not a franchise from Singapore, according to the owner. Christine said they made it sure that the Filipinos can appreciate Singaporean cuisine without compromising its authenticity. And sure it was well-appreciated! The restaurant just opened last January, but it already is very popular amongst the foodie crowd. 

On to the things we tried.



Roti Prata, 55 Php

Glutton Guy: I like my prata dipped in the curry sauce, unlike Glutton Girl. It makes the dish more of a meal. The curry sauce was tasty but not too full of spices. Just right for the Filipino taste. : )


Glutton Girl: The Roti Prata was chewy and tasty, there's no need to dip it in the curry sauce that it came with. It's somehow tastes like pita bread, for those wondering. I looked for prata with cheese and bananas, but the owner said they still didn't have that. I've tried that once in Singapore and I think the restaurant should add that to their menu as dessert because it's really good.



Hainan Chicken, 245 Php

Glutton Girl: I love Hainanese Chicken, so I already have a bias for this one. I like how the chicken doesn't taste oily at all. The chicken rice was also super good. You could really taste the chicken broth in it. I loved it best with the sweet black sauce (I think it's Hoisin sauce, but I'm not so sure) and the ginger shavings. It reminded me of Singapore. 


Nasi Lemak, 165 Php

Glutton Guy: It's my first time to try Nasi Lemak, but Glutton Girl said it's a must try so I obliged. The chicken was crispy and the peanut sauce complemented the chicken so well, I had to ask for another one! It's rice tasted a bit like pandan and coconut, but I guess that's really how it is with Singaporean/Malaysian food. I liked it; not recommended for first-timers though. : )



Spicy Pineapple Fish, 130 Php

Glutton Guy: I like the spice level of this dish. It's mildly hot, but the pineapples make up with its sweet, tangy flavor. : )

Glutton Girl: I think this dish is normal, something my mom can do at home. It's price is very affordable though. At P130, two people can already share this. The dory was cooked well: crispy on the outside but juicy on the inside.

Aside from these, we also tried out their famous drinks: Milk Tea (P50) and Milo Dinosaur (P55). Both should be tried when you're there. Unfortunately, we forgot to take pictures of them. 

It's rare that you find decent restaurants with very affordable prices, so Shiok is like a needle in a haystack. It is hard to find, but the look is very worth it. If you want to get authentic Singaporean cuisine, visit Shiok at the Fort some time.











Rating: Buddhalicious!
(Shiok is located at 0105 Fort Forum Bldg., Bonifacio Stop Over, 31st and 2nd St, Fort Bonifacio Global City, Taguig City.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Glutton Guide's Fan Box

The Glutton Guide on Facebook