Monday, December 27, 2010

What's Thai Without My Thai?

If there's one Asian cuisine that is worth trying, it has got to be Thai food. Before, we have been more exposed to Japanese or Chinese dishes, which was why Thai food was not given that much attention. Today, however, more and more Thai restaurants are being established in the Metro. This is a proof that Thai food is now becoming more renowned in the country not only for its delicious and unique taste, but also for the way it is cooked and presented. Speaking of Thai food, we recently tried a Thai restaurant that offers delicious and affordable Thai dishes that you would surely love.




The restaurant that we tried is located at Eastwood Mall. You would think at first that this place would offer expensive dishes. But, you would be surprised that this place offers delicious Thai dishes at an affordable price. The name of the place is My Thai Kitchen. The place was packed when we were there. It actually took us a while before we got ourselves a table. Nevertheless, the wait was really worth it, because we really were satisfied with the dishes we ordered.




The place did not have that really nice ambiance. It was just like the normal restaurant at the mall. There actually was nothing fancy and nothing noteworthy to look at. If you are more of the ambiance type of person or more of the comfy-eater, you would definitely not place My Thai on the top of your list, given the normal design of the place and the many customers flocking the place everyday. The people at My Thai, however, were really kind. They were always smiling and were very courteous and accommodating. Since it was our first time to dine there, they were suggesting dishes which we would surely like to eat. We eventually gave in to their suggestions and ordered some of their recommends. We really did not regret it in the end because everything we ate was delicious and really satisfying.










Here's what we ordered:










Cha Yen - Thai Iced Milk Tea, 95 php


Glutton Guy: I was never a big fan of milk tea. Anything that has a taste close to the taste of coffee, I really do not like. I tried the milk tea at Hong Kong and I have to admit, it wasn't bad after all. Ever since then I have become an avid fan of milk tea. I decided to buy the Cha Yen at My Thai. This is their version of the milk tea. I really enjoyed this drink. Its flavor was not too sweet yet it was not a resemblance of coffee. I really don't like it when the bitter flavor is the most distinct flavor in a drink. This is one of the reasons why My Thai's milk tea worked for me. It was a really satisfying drink at My Thai. : )


Glutton Girl: This is one drink that is really worth trying at My Thai. It was a very refreshing drink.   I like the creaminess that the milk gave to the drink. It wasn't too bitter which I actually liked. It had the right amount of sweetness and the right amount of creaminess from the milk. It really tasted like the authentic Thai milk tea. Presentation wise, it was just served in an ordinary glass, nothing flamboyant about the presentation of the drink. But, it was a delicious milk tea. Rather than drinking iced tea or soft drinks, you should try My Thai's Thai milk tea.




Pak See Sahai - Crispy Tofu, Vegetables, and Chilies, 175 php


Glutton Guy: I like spicy food. So, when I saw the chilies on the name of this dish, I did not think twice in ordering this dish. I'm also a fan of tofu, which made it more difficult to resist this dish. I actually liked it. The vegetables gave that crunch which I was looking for. The tofu was perfect for this dish. There was the spiciness which I was expecting it to have. It was like the Thai's version of Chopsuey. However, it had different vegetables and different ingredients. It wasn't too salty yet it wasn't too bland. The sauce was perfect. It blends well with the vegetables and the tofu. It was a delicious vegetable dish. : )


Glutton Girl: This was an okay dish for me. I liked the flavors in the dish. But, I found the tofu to be lacking. I thought it could still have that crunchiness which I was actually looking for. The vegetables were delicious, nevertheless. They gave that crunchy texture that I really liked. The sauce really coated the vegetables and the tofu well. It really made the dish delicious. It wasn't that overwhelming yet it wasn't that bland of a dish. It was more of like vegetables in an oyster sauce base. I liked the color that the greens and the red bell peppers gave to the dish, though. It was a good dish, overall; nothing too special but delicious in a way.




Gai Hor Bai Toy - Chicken in Pandan Leaves, 225 php


Glutton Guy: We usually order this whenever we eat at a Thai restaurant. They're like little surprises wrapped in pandan leaves. The only thing I don't like in the dish is the difficulty in removing the chicken from the pandan wrapping. Aside from that, I don't have any problems with the dish. The chicken was very soft and was marinated well. It was very flavorful and very delicious. Dipping it in the sauce gives it that added kick and that added flavor that I liked very much. I wish it also had that spiciness that the other dishes had. But, it was delicious as it is. : )


Glutton Girl: This dish was really delicious. The pandan gave the chicken a yummy flavor and scent. The sauce was really delicious as well. The problem was the size of the chicken. I have tried other chicken in pandan dishes and they weren't this small. These were like bit sized versions. But, for 225 php, this is not that bad. I also had trouble removing the pandan leaves from the chicken. But, the taste was really good. It's another great dish at My Thai.




Pla Meuk Tort Gratiam Prik Thai - Squid Stir Fry with Garlic and Peppercorns - 280 php


Glutton Guy: This is the best dish I have tasted at My Thai. I'm a big fan of seafood, so it's not a surprise that I liked this dish very much. The squid was cooked perfectly. It's not rubbery and it's easy to chew. The coating of the squid was very delicious. It had that saltiness and that bit of spiciness that made it really good. The dip complemented the flavors of the squid. It gave the squid an added spiciness and a bit of sour flavor. With or without the dip, however, the squid would still be very delicious. It's one of the dishes I would really recommend at My Thai. : )


Glutton Girl: What I liked about this dish is the fact that the squid is bite-sized. It makes the dish easier to eat, because squid can be rubbery and difficult to slice. With this dish, you could just treat them like popcorn, get one and place them in your mouth. The flavors really blended well. I liked it especially when you dip it in the spicy/sour dip. It hypes up the flavors of the squid. It makes the squid a bit spicy, but it really makes it more delicious. I really liked this dish, overall. It's one heck of a seafood dish. 




Pla Tod - Crispy Fish Fingers with Green Chili Dip, 205 php


Glutton Guy: The fish fingers were good. They had that crunchy outside and that soft and delicious inside. Unlike the other fish fingers that I have tasted, this was not tough. It was not overcooked and each fish finger was a bit bigger. I don't get why the dip was called green chili dip, though. It wasn't green at all. Plus, it lacked the spiciness which I was looking for. The fish fingers are actually better without the dip, in my opinion. Nevertheless, this dish is actually delicious. I would order it again on my next visit at My Thai.  : )


Glutton Girl: This was another okay dish. The fish fingers were delicious. However, I found them to be a bit lacking in flavor. It could use a bit of a zing from a citrus flavor like lemon or lime. It could also use a bit of spiciness. However, I'm not saying that the fish fingers did not have any flavor at all. I just thought that it needed a bit more flavor. The dip helped a bit in giving the fish a bit more flavor. The fish fingers were perfectly cooked, though. They were hot when they were served, which means they were freshly cooked. The fish was soft and had that crunch from the coating they used. Other than the flavor, there wasn't anything wrong with this dish.




Khau Kluk Gapi - Bagoong Rice with Sweet Pork and Green Mangoes, 230 php


Glutton Guy: When it comes to Thai rice, one of those recommends would be the binagoongan rice. Every spoonful of this delicious rice is a mix of different flavors that you'll surely like. We ordered this when we ate at My Thai and I have to admit, it was a very delicious rice dish. It could actually be a dish on its own because it already had pork. The pork was delicious and tender. The mangoes gave that sour flavor which blended well with the flavor of the bagoong-flavored rice. The rice is very flavorful from the shrimp paste that was used. It wasn't overpowering as well. I also liked the presentation of the rice. I liked the fact that the toppings of the rice are not mixed when they serve it to you. It's actually a good idea because you can choose which of the toppings you want to add to your share of the rice and how much of it you would want. Nevertheless, all of the toppings are worth the try. : )


Glutton Girl: The bagoong rice was very delicious. The bagoong flavor was just right. It wasn't too overwhelming. I like the mixture of the sweet pork and the sour green mango strips. I also like the mixture of the egg in the rice. Every topping in the rice dish gives a balance of flavors that made the bagoong rice very delicious. The mixture of the salty, sour, and sweet taste was just right. It would have been better for me if there was also a hint of spiciness from the flavor of the rice. However, the taste is still good as it is. The serving is also great. For 230 pesos, it's already good for 2 to 3 persons. Overall, it's a perfect rice dish for a delicious and satisfying Thai meal.


Thai food can be very delicious. But, when you are choosing which Thai restaurant to try out, you should not remove My Thai Kitchen from your choices. You will surely be satisfied with their delectable and affordable Thai dishes. You surely won't regret trying what they have to offer.
My Thai Kitchen is one of those Thai restaurants where you could taste Thai food at its finest. Thai food can most certainly be great. But, My Thai food is most definitely "Aroi!"












Here's how we rated My Thai:


Food: 






Price:
        




Place:
      






Service:
    













































(My Thai Kitchen has 6 branches: 1. Ground Floor Eastwood Mall Veranda, E. Rodriguez Jr. Avenue, Libis, Quezon City - Just in front of MoMo and beside the entrance of the mall; 2. The Piazza at Venice, McKinley HIll, Fort Bonifacio, Quezon City; 3. Quirino Avenue corner Regalado Streets, Greater Lagro, Quezon City; 4. Greenbelt 2, Ayala Center, Makati City; 5. 204 GP Wilson Street, Addition Hills, San Juan City; and 6. Centris Walk, Eton Centris, EDSA corner Quezon Avenue, Quezon City)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Glutton Guide's Fan Box

The Glutton Guide on Facebook