Monday, February 1, 2010

A taste of Ilocos favorites

If you Glutton Guys out there are looking for a delicious and satisfying snack, why not go local. There are a lot of these so-called "meriendas" that are very delicious and are worth trying. Take for instance, Mac's Deli in Tiendesitas, where you can taste the authentic Vigan Empanada and Okoy. Their products are fresh, nicely cooked, and most of all, very very good. They offer delicious Ilocos dishes such as the famous Vigan longganisa. But, the bestseller is still the empanada and the okoy. Paired with the famous "Sukang Ilocos", the empanada and the okoy are simply to die for. The empanada only costs 40php (110php if you buy 3 pcs.) while the okoy also costs 40php per piece. They also offer rice meals such as Vigan longganisa with rice, and even okoy with rice or empanada with rice.





Well then, let's take a look at 2 of the most popular foods Mac's offers:




Empanada, 40php; 110php-3 pcs.

Glutton Guy: Unlike the normal empanada, this one has lesser stuffing. But, it was way way better than the original one. I have yet to taste an empanada that can beat this one. It was delicious inside, and very crunchy outside. Dipping it in the authentic sukang Ilocos would hype up the flavor of the empanada. For me, it was good and worth trying. It's also gonna make you come back for more. I think I am. : )
Glutton Girl: Vigan empanada has been my long-time favorite snack. It's one of those local snacks that are delicious and keep me coming back for more. And when I think of Vigan empanada, nothing, for me, beats the Vigan empanada of Mac's Deli. It is so tasty and well seasoned. Plus, it is very very crucnhy. And that's what I like most about it. Most of the time when I visit Tiendesitas, I never forget to buy even just a piece, and sometimes even take some home for my family. I recommend this snack to you guys. I just know that you are going to love it, just like I have.




Okoy, 40php

Glutton Guy: If you think the empanada is good, you ain't seen nothing yet. I have to say, the okoy is as delicious as the empanada. It's crunchy, it's not too salty, and for 40php, it's very very good. I wouldn't mind eating 2 or even 3 of these in one seating. It's also best when you dip it to the sweet and spicy sukang Ilocos. This is another must-try for all you Glutton Guys out there. : )
Glutton Girl: Not as much as the empanada, but I also love the okoy. I like the way how it's cooked. And because of that, it becomes crispy, yet it's not burned. Even if you don't reheat it in the oil, it still maintains its crispiness. With these said, it's another Glutton Girl recommend.

Mac's Deli has proved to us that it does offer the ORIGINAL Vigan empanada and okoy. Like what we have said earlier, it's an absolute must-try for you guys. You won't go wrong having the empanada and okoy tandem as your snack for the day. It only proves that at some point, nothing still beats the Filipino local snack.

Rating: Buddhalicious!
(Mac's Deli is located at Tiendesitas. It's at the food center, where the stage is located. One of those stalls around the center.)

2 comments:

  1. I love this blog! keep it up! I like your tone, very casual and real, not pretentious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Pete and Yana! I've read this but omg hindi ko alaaaam na inyo to! Akala ko spam yung emails. hahaha but congratulations! This is sooo promising! will link you guys to my accounts! :)

    ReplyDelete

The Glutton Guide's Fan Box

The Glutton Guide on Facebook