Monday, February 1, 2010

Yogurt fit for Kings!!!

Becoming fit and healthy has been the recent trend in today's lifestyle. More and more people are now becoming aware and conscious of how they look and how healthy they are. Which is why most of us diet or exercise, to keep us fit and fab. Even in what we eat, we always have to see to it that what comes inside our stomachs are low in fat, low in cholesterol, low in carbs, and the like.

One of the most popular healthy and irresistible foods today is the "yogurt ice cream". It became so popular, that everybody now knows it by the name of "Fro-Yo". One by one, Fro-Yo stores have been popping out introducing different flavors and different toppings.

Since this Fro-Yo has become the new "in thing", we just couldn't let it slip our taste buds (Yes, we're avid fans of Fro-Yo). So we came across one Fro-Yo store that you'll surely love.



Located at Shangri-La Mall is a Fro-Yo store named GOLDEN SPOON. Sure, from the name itself it sounds like it's gonna be expensive. But actually, it's not. It's actually cheaper than you think it is. It's like an affordable version of Haagen Dazs. Plus, it's super delicious, you won't even notice it's yogurt. This is because normal Fro-Yo's would taste sour (The first time I ate Fro-Yo, I thought they used expired milk hahahaha - Glutton Guy). However, Golden Spoon's Fro-Yo's taste like original ice cream. What's even better is that they have different flavors to suit your sweet tooth. Actually, they have 50 Golden flavors (that's what it said in the ad inside the store). The best thing of all, they offer free tastes!!! (Talk about thinking on what flavor to buy) Yep, whatever you wanna try to taste they'll offer it to you for free. They'll even give suggestions as to what you might like. And they have different toppings, ranging from cold syrups to hot syrups. And of course, they also have the other toppings like marshmallows, cereals, choco chips, brownie chunks, and even gummy bears. The prices range from 85php (The "mini" size. Believe me, it's not that mini at all - Glutton Guy), to their biggest size which is around 475php (I have yet to see how big this actually is. For a price that much, it better be. - Glutton Guy). Other sizes are 155php-small and 220php-large. You have to pay additional 20php for each topping, but believe me, even without the toppings you'll surely be satisfied. Anyways, here are the flavors we tried and tasted:




Boysenberry

Glutton Guy: Best flavor, in my opinion. It actually is one of their bestsellers according to the Fro-Yo man there. It has a different flavor that I can't quite distinguish. I think it tastes like cotton candy, only better. It's not too sweet, so you won't easily get that feeling that you can't eat more of it. This is one of the flavors that's good and delicious even without the toppings. Be sure to have a free taste, in case you're in doubt of what it tastes like hahahaha (According to the very trustworthy Wikipedia, a boysenberry is a cross between a raspberry, a blackberry, and/or a loganberry. It is a large compound fruit, with large seeds and a deep maroon color.) : )
Glutton Girl: This Boysenberry flavor is actually my favorite. It's super delicious, yet it's not too sweet. It tastes like candy with a mix of strawberry and raspberry. It's really good and one of the flavors you have got to try at Golden Spoon. We ordered it without any toppings. And I have to say, it's really really good. We didn't actually know it was the bestseller, since we didn't know what "Boysenberry" was. So, we ordered Old Fashioned Vanilla and New York Cheesecake. If not for the Fro-Yo man's free taste, we wouldn't have tasted it.




Old Fashioned Vanilla

Glutton Guy: This was what I ordered. I asked Hershey's Chocolate Syrup and Gummy bears for toppings. (Yeah I know, the toppings aren't related at all... But, hey, it's still good. At least for me hahahaha ) It tasted okay. However, it only had a slight edge to the vanilla ice cream. It's healthier, though. It also had a similar taste to another flavor of theirs, New York Cheesecake. We tried both of it and it had the same taste. So, up until now we still do not know the difference between the two flavors. (Aside from their name, of course) : )
Glutton Girl: It was just the same as the New York Cheesecake flavor. However, it wasn't as sweet as the original Vanilla flavor, which is good for me. I didn't like Glutton Guy's idea of mixing chocolate syrup with gummy bears, though. Separately, I think they're good. But together, I'm not quite sure hahahaha Try it out for yourself. I have a strong feeling that you're all gonna like it (I meant the flavor, not the combination of toppings hahahahaha).



New York Cheesecake

Glutton Guy: Like I said in the previous flavor, it actually has the same flavor with Old Fashioned Vanilla. I didn't get the cheesecake flavor, much less the New York Cheesecake flavor. Nevertheless, it's still good. It's creamy and yummy, just like the other flavors. It's still a must-try though. (Actually, all the flavors are a must-try..Oooohh except for the...you'll see later on hahahaha) : )
Glutton Girl: I didn't get the real taste of the cheesecake. It's like more on Vanilla flavor. It wasn't evident that the flavor was New York Cheesecake. But, like Glutton Guy, I still liked it, especially with my brownie chunks topping. The combination of the Fro-Yo flavor with the brownie chunks was delicious for me. Unlike Glutton guy, I don't have a bad taste for toppings hahahahaha


Pistachio

Glutton Guy: This is Golden Spoon's epic fail. And I mean it. It really didn't taste good, not one bit. It tasted like Chinese medicine. Even the guys at Golden Spoon disliked the flavor. What's worse is that the flavor stays in your mouth for some time. I really had no choice but to ask for another free taste of a different flavor just to remove the Pistachio taste in my mouth. I don't know why they still keep this flavor, having 50 flavors and all. No offense meant, though. It really just wasn't good for me. : )
Glutton Girl: I really hate to say this, but here it goes. Pistachio is not a good idea for me. It wasn't good. It really really tasted like yucky medicine. It really had this unexplainable bitter flavor for me. I wouldn't order this if I were you. Simply put, I wouldn't recommend it, not even one bit. You have 49 flavors to choose from, so don't be dismayed hahahahaha If you're a fan of Pistachio, well, too bad because it would really destroy your admiration for the flavor. Still, you might like it depending upon your taste (or if you're really a fan of the flavor, no matter how bad it tastes). You have that "free taste right", though. So, I suggest you exercise it before you order the flavor hahahahaha



Cake Batter

Glutton Guy: Another best seller of the store. I have to say, it was also good. It wasn't as good as Boysenberry, though. But, it's in my number 2 position. It did taste like cake batter. Not to sweet, yet the flavor was there. Plus, it was very creamy. Another must-try flavor for you guys. Still, you can have a free taste of this flavor in case you're in doubt. : )
Glutton Girl: I can't quite recall the flavor (since it was just a free taste hahahaha). However, based on what I remember, it tasted like a real cake batter. I did wonder if they really use cake batter and just put it in the ice cream maker to chill. Maybe I'm right hahahaha Do try it out. It's good. I just wasn't able to eat a lot since we only asked for a free taste of it.



Those were the flavors we tasted. And we have to say, we were very much satisfied with what Golden Spoon had to offer. There's still a lot of flavors to taste. Some of them are also bestsellers such as Espresso, Cafe Latte, Strawberry, Peanut Butter, Cookies n' Cream, Chocolate Malt, and many many more. Truly, Golden Spoon is worth a trip for you Fro-Yo peeps out there, even for you guys who just want to have a nice chat back-to-back with a nice and yummy dessert.


 

 


Rating: Buddhalicious!

(Golden Spoon is located at Level 1 of the Shangri-La Plaza Mall. It's just near Starbucks and the big rotating entrance door below California Pizza Kitchen.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Glutton Guide's Fan Box

The Glutton Guide on Facebook