Saturday, May 29, 2010

French Desserts...The Chinese Way

True, common Chinese desserts would include buchi, tikoy, moon cakes, and the lot. I do have to admit, they're really good, which is why a lot of Filipinos crave for these kinds of food. But, that doesn't mean the Chinese are limited to such desserts. Recently, we found an interesting food place that brings western desserts to a place where you would least expect it to be.





We were at Binondo, Manila when we found a little dessert place called Crepe de Chine. Although it's kind of hidden (the place is like at the lower ground level), you can't miss it because of their sign. Peering on their window we found the place intriguing, so we gave it a shot. True enough, the place is inetersting. It's kind of cozy and the people there gave comforting smiles. The place had regular wooden tables (nothing special about those). But, what really caught our attention were the place's tables with swings for chairs. It was really cute and we asked the waiter if we could sit there. We were actually fortunate to be given permission by the owner (we think she was the owner because the waiters took orders from her) to sit there because the area where the tables with swings are was decorated (There were balloons all over the floor and chairs with the words "I Love You" written on the balloons). The owner said that there was a proposal that's gonna happen, but it won't happen for about 2 hours after we arrived. So, we decided to eat and savor our food as fast as possible so as to give them enough time to clean our plates and prepare for the event.



Crepe de Chine's food were not expensive at all. You would think that they are, given the 'classy' name of the place. But, they actually are the opposite. The servings are also big, enough for a person to be full in no time. They also offer other dishes like pastas and salads.





Here's what we got:






Chocolate Milkshake, 90 php


Glutton Guy: What better way to mix chocolate and milk together than to make it into a wonderful and delicious shake! There were ice lumps on my shake, but it actually didn't matter because the milkshake is really good. In fact, I even think that the lumps were a plus for me. It was not too sweet (probably because of the ice) so it really worked. I actually wanted to have more. And I think you will too, after having one of these lovely shakes. : )





Lemonade Slurpe, 50 php


Glutton Girl: This is actually a great summer drink. It reminds me of having fun at the beach and drinking lots of this delicious Lemonade Slurpe. The lemonade had that sweet taste, yet it still had that citrus and tangy taste. The flavors were well-balanced, making it really good and also making it a good thirst quencher. I suggest you have a try on this one, Glutton fans.





CDC Party! Platter, 270 php


Glutton Guy: It wasn't joking when it said 'Party'. It's a lot, considering we were only two people. There were lots of fruits (peaches, mangoes, bananas), three scoops of ice cream (strawberry, vanilla, and chocolate), and lots of nuts and chocolate syrup. Every dessert that they have on the menu, it's all here in one big plate. You'll definitely feel satisfied after this, I'm sure. : )


Glutton Girl: What I'm after here are the 3 scoops of ice cream. I'm a big fan of ice cream, so this dessert really worked for me. I really think that it would work more without the crepe, though. Plus, It was too big for us, because I really had a full stomach before we even finished it. Good thing Glutton Guy had a big appetite (Sorry Glutton Guy hahaha).





Choc-o-Nuts, 165 php


Glutton Guy: Once again, I loved the chocolate syrup and the ice cream. I'm really not sure if the crepe worked for me. However, the crepe had that chocolate flavor, which kind of worked for me. I just felt that the crepe was a bit dry despite the ice cream and the syrup. The nuts was also an added plus. However, I think that there shouldn't be too much because it could be overpowering. : )


Glutton Girl: Like Glutton Guy, I also loved the ice cream. I'm just not sure about the nuts. I think it gives the dessert that crunch. But, I also agree with Glutton Guy that it shouldn't be too much. Overall, I think it's an okay dish for me.





It's not all the time that Binondo surprises you with something different, especially when it comes to food. True enough, Binondo is a mix of different cultures, where one can embrace the diversity of both the Chinese and the Filipino culture. Crepe de Chine is one of those testaments that Chinese aren't just limited to their culture, rather, they can also do more and explore to become competitive, not just in the culinary world, but in life in general.
















Rating: Buddhalicious!
(Crepe de Chine is located at LG-2 World Trade Exchange Building, 215 Juan Luna street, Binondo, Manila. Facing Binondo church, just take the right side of Juan Luna street.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Glutton Guide's Fan Box

The Glutton Guide on Facebook