Sunday, February 20, 2011

Thai Dara: 'Healthy' Thai Food at its Finest

It's really hard to resist Thai food. Every Thai dish is packed with flavors that will surely make your appetite satisfied. The good thing about Thai food is that it always offers a variety of flavors, from the sweet, to the sour, to the salty, and to the spicy. It doesn't rely on one flavor alone. With the help of Thai spices, Thai cuisine really takes eating up a notch. Flavor-wise, it is definitely one of the best dishes a foodie must try. Every Thai dish is a recommended one, regardless of which Thai restaurant serves it.




The continuous craving for delicious Thai food brought us to a Thai place at Granada street. It may not sound very familiar, but Thai Dara is one of those places where you can get authentic Thai dishes. When you taste Thai Dara's food, you'll feel that you're really having a meal at Thailand. The spices they use are imported from Bangkok, which makes Thai Dara's dishes very close to the original. What's even better is that you can have these dishes for a very affordable price. Every dish is less than 300 pesos, with every dish good for 3 to 4 persons. If that's not enough, Thai Dara's dishes are certified healthy. Thai Dara uses no MSG and no lard in cooking their dishes. So, you are sure to get delicious and authentic Thai dishes that's fat free and light on the budget at the same time.













The place really gives that Thai ambiance. Upon entering the place, you could already smell the Thai spices that they used. Some of them, though, were really strong, so there were times when our eyes hurt. There were even Thai writings that we didn't understand, of course. There were some designs that were recognizably from the Thai culture such as the Thai headdress, a buddha statue, and some elephant statues. There were even pictures of Thai artists. The 'attraction-grabber' of the restaurant, however, was the TV that plays Thai music videos. We didn't understand the song, but somehow it did give some LSS to the customers. It's actually like a videoke TV because there was a highlighted caption that you could follow, that is, if you understand Thai, because the caption's in Thai letters.








The people at Thai Dara are very kind and accommodating. We were never dissatisfied with the service here. They were very attentive if the customers needed anything or if there were additional orders from other customers. They were also good at promoting some of the food. When we were there, they were persuading us to try their Thai desserts. We didn't fall for it, though, because we were really full. But, we give them an A for the effort. 








If you can't wait to see the dishes we tried, here they are:




Thai Iced Tea, 55 php


Glutton Guy: Whenever I eat at a Thai restaurant, it's a must that my drink would be the delicious Thai iced tea. I think in the many times that I have tried this drink (including this one), I have never been dissatisfied with regards to the taste. Thai Dara's Thai iced tea is very creamy. It has the exact blend of the bitter flavor and the creamy milk. Plus, it's very refreshing. The fact that it is cold makes the drink perfect for a hot day. I really liked Thai Dara's version of the Thai iced tea. I wouldn't think twice on recommending this drink to you. : )




Glutton Girl: I was supposed to buy the mint-lemonade drink. But, since I'm a big fan of Thai iced tea, I got this one. I didn't go wrong in choosing my drink. It was very delicious and very creamy. It wasn't that sweet, yet it wasn't that bitter as well. I usually don't like iced tea that's overly sweet. It was really close to the authentic Thai iced tea. I actually had to refrain myself from drinking it all up before our food arrived. Price-wise, I wish it was a bit cheaper. Nevertheless, Thai Dara's Thai iced tea worked really well for me. I'd say I would prefer this drink over any drink in a Thai restaurant. 




Threesome, 179 php


Glutton Guy: This is one of Thai Dara's rice dishes. It's like the Pinoy fried rice, but a more delicious version. You might get turned-off by the name, and I really didn't know why it was called that way. But, it was very delicious. It had the right amount of ingredients. It was a healthy rice dish because of the cucumber and the tomatoes. They also used chicken for protein as compared to the usual pork or beef. A plate of this is actually good for 3 to 4 persons. Instead of ordering the usual plain rice, why not have a go at this rice dish? The flavors were really good, I have to say. With rice this good, you would forget all about the name of this dish. : )




Glutton Girl: This is a very affordable rice dish. It even feels like you can eat it by itself because it already has vegetables and the chicken. The flavor of the rice was really delicious. It was amazing that they were able to elevate the flavors of this dish without using any MSG or lard. The vegetables were a great combination with the rice. It's like eating a delicious Thai version of burrito, minus the wrap. There was only one shrimp, though (I got it first hahahaha). I think it would be better if there were 2 to 3 pieces of shrimp. Then again, it might make the dish more expensive. Regardless if the dish had shrimp or not, it was still a delicious rice dish. If you want something different yet flavorful, try Thai Dara's Threesome. 




Sassy Fish, 229 php


Glutton Guy: I wanted a fish dish, so I ordered Thai Dara's Sassy Fish. It was like fish fillet sticks in a sour sauce with tomatoes, onions, and green mango slices. I only ate the fish, though. I wasn't a big fan of the sour sauce, nor was I a big fan of the vegetables. But, the fish was really good. It was perfectly cooked and was very crunchy. The flavor was delicious. I actually didn't mind if it was dipped in that sour vinegar sauce. But, I try my best not to let it get soaked in the vinegar sauce. It was a very delicious fish dish for me. It's actually a dish I would recommend at Thai Dara. : )




Glutton Girl: I really liked this dish. The fish sticks were very delicious and had that crunchy exterior. The vegetables and the mangoes reminded me of our very own 'ensaladang mangga'. But, instead of shrimp paste or 'bagoong', there was the sour sauce. I liked the mixture of the vegetables. It really looked like a tropical dish because of the citrus ingredients. The peanuts in the dish gave an added crunch which I really liked. The sour sauce actually gave the fish that kick I was expecting when I saw the mangoes. I would order this dish again on my next visit at Thai Dara.




5 Angels, 129 php


Glutton Guy: This is Thai Dara's version of Chopsuey. This vegetable dish is very delicious. It actually is one of the best vegetable dishes that I have tasted so far. The flavor was excellent. The vegetables were very crunchy, and the sauce was very flavorful. You could really taste the flavor of the garlic, the onions, and the seasonings they used. What's even better is that it's a perfectly healthy dish. It's a fat-less vegetable dish, so it's a perfect order for health-conscious customers. If I were to choose between the Chopsuey or Thai Dara's 5 Angels, I would choose Thai Dara's 5 Angels. It's really a must-try vegetable dish. 




Glutton Girl: What can I say, the name says it all. This dish is actually a dish created by angels. It's a very flavorful dish. From the looks of it, it does look like a simple vegetable dish. But, the taste is actually one of the best. The vegetables had that crunch, an indication that the vegetables were fresh and well cooked. The sauce was also perfect. It wasn't too salty yet it wasn't that bland. It had that perfect 'gisa' flavor that you usually find at Pinoy dishes. I have no idea why the dish is called 5 Angels, though. But, it is something that you must try at Thai Dara.




Thai Dara offers delicious Thai meals that is perfect for the Filipino palate. Every flavor is perfect and every price is easy on the pocket. You'll be surprised that you only spent a little amount for a big meal that's already good for you and your friends. If you're looking for a Thai restaurant that serves authentic Thai dishes, then Thai Dara is the place for you. It's original, it's affordable, it's healthy, and it's absolutely delicious. With yummy dishes like these, you'll be quite surprised you're not in Bangkok...yet. ^_^






Here's how we rated Thai Dara:


Food:
            
Price:
         
Place:

Service:





(Thai Dara is located at 56 Granada Street, Gilmore Avenue Extension, Valencia, Quezon City. It's just near the intersection of Santolan Road and Ortigas Avenue, beside the Happy Valley restaurant and across the Slice N' Dice restaurant. Just go straight from EDSA and pass Greenhills. Pass the Petron gas station, the Kebab restaurant and some auto shops. It's on the right side if you follow this direction. You can also reach it from the Gilmore LRT station, but be prepared for a long walk.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Glutton Guide's Fan Box

The Glutton Guide on Facebook