Sunday, April 18, 2010

Kiss-ing the Cook makes a Yummy Meal

We stumbled upon this newly opened place in Maginhawa Street in UP Village. We have heard a lot of notable things from people who gave this place a shot. It was also featured in Mel and Joey. So, we've decided to visit and see for ourselves what makes people come back to the place. 

The place is called Kiss the Cook Cafe. If you don't have a good eye for spotting places, you'll have a hard time looking for Kiss the Cook because it is barely noticeable. The sign cannot be seen from afar and it's not totally readable. Plus, the place is covered by trees from one side. The first time we looked for Kiss the Cook, we gave up looking for it. We covered the whole Maginhawa Street and still we couldn't find it. Good thing the second time around it wasn't that difficult to find.


The place is small yet comfortable. You'll really feel the fine dining ambiance upon entering the place. We did find the place a little small for a cafe that's kind of popular in the area. The place is nicely designed, and it will give you that homey feeling. The people there are nice and accommodating. We were even lucky that the manager was there to give a little chat about the place. She's the owner's sister and she was really nice. She even suggested some dishes which we should order and try. Some celebrities are common visitors of the place like Eugene Domingo. So, it wouldn't be hard to believe when people say that this place is really worth the try, especially for guys like us.



Here's what we ordered:




Ginger Lime Tea, 100 php

Glutton Guy: I really had doubts in ordering this. I really hate the taste of ginger, so for me, it wasn't a good idea to order a ginger drink. The manager recommended that we try it. She said that it's a good summer chiller. So we gave the drink a shot. And you know what? It wasn't what I was expecting to taste. There really was just a little trace of ginger. All I could taste was the citrus flavor from the lime and some sweetness, probably from a little sugar. There was a ginger flavor after-taste, but it wasn't a bad thing at all. It was really a thirst quencher, especially this summer. Never knew ginger could be that good. : )

Glutton Girl: I’m not a fan of ginger flavors so I was hesitant to try it. But the manager suggested it so yeah, we ordered. It was very refreshing but I had a hard time finishing it. It’s best drank ‘super cold’ because the lime and ginger flavors were strong for my taste.



Oriental Duck Rolls, 185 php

Glutton Guy: I've already tried this, but in a different restaurant. This was also good, but it had a different version. The one I tried before also had the same vegetables, but used the skin of the duck. Kiss the Cook, however, uses the meat of the duck. The one I tried before had a more delicious sauce than Kiss the Cook's, but I'm not saying that Kiss the Cook's sauce is not good at all. Basically what I'm saying is that there's a better version of the dish. But it's not a dish that I wouldn't recommend. I mean, every dish is worth trying at Kiss the Cook. : )

Glutton Girl: My first comment after taking a bite was "lasang damo". Haha I think it had so much vegetables, you’d have to be very observant to taste the duck. It’s a single sliver of duck meat surrounded by greens. The duck was dry. Thankfully the sauce was very savory- I guess it’s the best part of the dish. But for 185 for four rolls, I think it’s overpriced. 



Five-Spice Pork Spareribs, 195 php

Glutton Guy: I was given the opportunity by Glutton Girl to taste her order. It was good, but according to her, it was really spicy. When I tasted it I didn't feel the spiciness of the pork. Of course I only tasted a bit, so couldn't really tell. But, I have to say that this really is deserving of the best-seller title. : )

Glutton Girl: Meat is my default choice anywhere so it was a no brainer to pick the Five-spice Pork Spareribs. It had this right crunch, the meat is tender and it had the right amount of spice. The cilantro-corn slaw was flavorful. I liked it!
 


Moroccan Fish Fillet, 245 php

Glutton Guy: This was my order. For 245 php, this dish is overpriced for me. The amount of fish in the dish was small for the price (or probably the plate was just big hahaha). I couldn't figure out the taste of the dish, and I have to admit, the taste is quite forgettable. However, the fish is really crispy outside yet soft and fluffy-like on the inside. The salad that comes with it is really good. Every ingredient looked fresh, especially the greens. : )

Glutton Girl:This was Glutton Guy’s order. It was very good. The fish was cooked perfectly and the flavor complements the fish just right.


Truffle Mushroom and Cheese, 165 php

Glutton Guy: A friend of ours was with us and she ordered this dish. She did let me taste it, though. It was really good. It's a sandwich that's not ordinary. The bread was semi-crunchy, making it very good. The melted cheese inside the sandwich is really good as well. I would really recommend this one to you guys. : )



Espresso Panna Cotta, 75 php

Glutton Guy: This was also ordered by our friend. Sad to say, I'm really not a fan of coffee. So, I didn't like it. Don't base the dish on my comment, though. It's just that I don't really like coffee, so I wrote this kind of comment. It was creamy though and it tasted really light. : )

Glutton Girl: This was an okay dessert for me. The texture was like Jell-o but the flavor was light cappuccino, which is good. I was expecting it to be creamier.



Choco Lava Cake A La Mode, 120 php

Glutton Guy: Sinfully good. It was really chocolate heaven for me. The cake was still hot when it was served. It was topped with a cold and delicious Vanilla Fro-Yo that complements the cake. You wouldn't like it at first because Fro-Yo is used rather than the traditional ice cream. But, I still like it (probably because I'm a Fro-Yo lover hahaha). It's a must-try for you guys who would want a delicious and a sweet end to your meal. : )

Glutton Girl: The cake was good but the yogurt sort of contradicts the sweet cake. The yogurt was too sour for me. It would have been better to use traditional ice cream.



Banoffee Pie, 140 php

Glutton Guy: When I saw this and tasted it, I automatically compared it to Banapple's Banoffee Pie. The taste was delicious. However, I did find the servings small for 140 php. It would be a good idea to make the pie a bit bigger. : )

Glutton Girl: This is my order and it’s my favorite of the three desserts too. My benchmark for a good banoffee is that of Banapple’s so I have high expectations for this one. And it was good! It had a texture like tart, but the bananas and cream were perfectly sweet. My only problem was it was so small for 140 pesos. Pretty expensive if you compare to Bannaple’s generous 95-peso slice.
 

So there you have it, our Kiss the Cook experience. All in all it was a cozy, delicious, and satisfying experience for us. It's safe to say that having a hard time looking for the place is really worth it. Next time you're near the area, give this place a shot. You'll definitely be one of those people who'll say loud and proud, "I just Kissed the Cook!"





Rating: Buddhalicious!
(Kiss the Cook Cafe is located at 59 Maginhawa Street, UP Village, Diliman, Quezon City. It's just beside Tomato Kick.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Glutton Guide's Fan Box

The Glutton Guide on Facebook